Thursday, November 29, 2018

DJ Out

Over the past few weeks, I’ve had the opportunity to reflect on my relationship with the game of golf. To put it bluntly, having my high school career end leaves a hollow feeling. I know I’m nowhere done with playing competitive golf, but the thought of it genuinely scares me.

The process to play collegiate golf is brutal. If you’re not mentally and emotionally strong enough, it can make you feel worthless. The odds are so stacked against you that coaches are very selective on who they take. Typically, only 2 or 3 spots are available every year for thousands and thousands of potential players. I’ve been told “no” more times than anybody would ever realize.

At this point, I’m continuing to work harder than ever to achieve my goals. As I type this, I am on the plane to Las Vegas to keep competing. I’ll be the first to admit there’s days where I ask myself why I’m doing this. Sometimes it honestly feels hopeless. I think it’s the love of the game that keeps me from quitting.

In the end, there's something magical about the game of golf. Whether it's getting up before sunrise to "sweep the dew" off the golf course or the rush of adrenaline on the first tee of a tournament. More important to me will be the memories. Golf has taken me to some amazing places. I've played in events from Southern Florida to Northern California to everywhere in between. I've stayed at amazing resorts and Hampton Inns in towns of 5,000 people. I've played golf courses with prairie grass and water and (now) desert. I've met awesome people. Young and old, good or bad, I would say the people in golf are some of the best in the world. Candidly, I don't know what my future holds for me. Golf may end up being my livelihood. Golf may also just end up being a hobby. Regardless, the memories and experiences I've had from golf will help me the rest of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment